I hope you’re all well. I’m back today with a quick beauty post and I’ll be talking you through some easy tips to step up your lipstick application from level 50 to 100 lol. It only adds 2 minutes extra to the process of applying lipstick but it makes a noticeable difference. Honestly, truly. So if you want to rock a bold lip this Christmas-New Year-festive period, you can do so with confidence. Absolutely anyone can wear a bold lipstick, the key is in the preparation!
Let’s get straight into tip #1…
1. Exfoliation is key
Before you wear a bold lip it’s really important that you prepare. Let’s be real… it’s winter now and our lips can be the first to suffer the impact of the cold weather. We all know that crusty or dry lips do not look flattering with any kind of lipstick tbh. The aim is to have the softest, smoothest surface for your lip product to adhere to. So to achieve this, make sure you exfoliate your lips first/that your lips have recently been exfoliated.
There are loads of ways to exfoliate your lips but I would suggest trying one of these options…
- Use a store bought lip scrub e.g. Lush Bubblegum Lip Scrub
- Make your own DIY lip scrub – get a small container or pot, then add a teaspoon of sugar and mix it with coconut oil/olive oil/your lip balm of choice.
- Toothbrush exfoliation – probably the easiest option, just take your toothbrush and gently rub it over your lips to remove the dead skin.
I tend to just use a lip scrub, sometimes store bought and sometimes homemade.
So now you’ve exfoliated your lips, you need to moisturise them. This step is especially important if you’re planning to apply a liquid lipstick or a matte lipstick because these tend to be the most drying and can crack after a while. My favourite is good old Vaseline but really you can use anything, as long as it restores moisture.
3. Use a lip liner?
Okay we’re almost there now. Exfoliation and moisturisation done, the next tip I recommend is lining your lips before applying the actual lipstick. Some people don’t think this step is necessary and I’ll admit, it isn’t always needed depending on what lipstick you’re using/the shape of your lips. But I just love lining my lips for a more precise look and defined cupid’s bow. Think of it like a colouring book, it helps you to stay within the lines. Just trace around the natural outline of your lips, or for those of you that want to create the illusion of a fuller lip, you can overdraw slightly.
I don’t have many lip liners (in comparison to my ever-growing lipstick collection), but I recommend getting four main colours to start off with: brown, red, pink and purple. Milani, Sleek, Primark PS Love and NYX all do really creamy and affordable lip liners.
Now you’re ready for the lipstick. I just apply straight from the tube itself but some people like to use a lip brush for even more precision. Whatever floats your boat is cool. My last tip is to use your fingers or a makeup wipe to stop any excess lipstick on your inner lip from transferring onto your teeth. Then, go forth and conquer!
Shop the Look:
Top Left: Milani Statement Matte Lipstick “Iconic”; Top Centre and Top Right: MAC “Film Noir”;
Bottom Left: Primark PS Love Matte Lipstick; Bottom Centre: NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream “Copenhagen”; Bottom Right: Colourpop Ultra Matte Lip “Tulle”
Some of my favourite bold and dark lipsticks are:
- THE CLASSIC RED LIP: Milani Statement Matte Lipstick “Iconic” (shop here) | MAC Ruby Woo (shop here) | MUA Luxe Velvet Lip Lacquer “Reckless” (shop here)
- CHOCOLATE BROWN LIPS: MAC Film Noir (shop here) | Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick “Choco-liscious” (shop here)
- PURPLE/WINE LIPS: Sleek True Colour Lipstick “Vamp” (shop here) | NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream “Copenhagen” (shop here) | Sleek Matte Me Lip Cream “Vino Tinto” (shop here) | LA Girl Flat Finish Pigment Gloss “Backstage” (shop here)
So it really is that easy. This little routine helps my lipstick look better and stay on for longer too. Let me know what your favourite bold lipsticks are in the comments below.
Do you have any other tips and tricks for better lipstick application? Feel free to share.
Thanks for reading 🙂
Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.
God bless you!
*There are 21 days until Christmas!*
Christmas shopping made easy – Try Amazon Prime here for free!
What is Amazon Prime? – Prime members can:
- Get unlimited, FREE One-Day Delivery on millions of items
- Enjoy unlimited instant streaming of thousands of movies and TV shows
- Borrow from thousands of titles from the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library
- Secure, unlimited photo storage with anywhere access
Interested? Enjoy your free 30 day trial today.